DIY Insect Repellent

Hi Guys!
Sorry it's been such a long time since my last post. My family has been traveling all over the country this summer, and it has not left me a lot of time to post on my blog like I've wanted.
But that has not kept me from cooking! I have some great new recipes that I want to share with you soon, so keep an eye out for them!


But today I have a great, easy new "recipe" for you guys!
You see, I have the type of skin (or genes, or whatever) that causes mosquitoes to flock to me anytime I am outside passed sunset.
Consequently, I am normally subjected to the sticky, smelly, store-bought insect repellent (you know, the kind that makes you want to take a shower after you get back inside). But as of recently, I have found a safer, more natural way to repel those evil mosquitoes and other bugs at night: I made my own bug spray!

It's so easy! It takes only a few minutes, it's safe, kid-friendly, and much cheaper than buying it from the store!
Also, all of these ingredients can be found at Walmart or any local drug store! Both the witch hazel (creepy name, but the witch hazel is actually a plant that is commonly used for its healing and restorative properties) and the essential oils are located in the medicine/vitamin/pharmacy sections.

So, here's what you need:



DIY Insect Repellent:



(recipe adapted from here)

Ingredients:


1 Spray bottle (about 8 oz)
1 tsp rubbing alcohol
3 Tbs witch hazel
100 drops of essential oils (I used lemongrass, clove bud, and patchouli)
Water


Directions:

1. Mix together first 2 ingredients in the spray bottle and shake well
2. Add essential oils (I added about 55 drops of lemongrass, 25 drops of clove bud, and 20 drops of patchouli)
3. Fill the rest of the bottle with water. Shake well.

*You can adjust the amount of essential oils depending on your personal tastes. Different essential oils can be used as well

Other oils that can be used:

citronella
lavender
cedarwood
peppermint
rosemary
eucalyptus

**Do not worry if the mixture in the bottle starts separating; it's completely normal! Just shake each time before using.


Now we can all be free to enjoy our mosquito-free summer nights!


No comments:

Post a Comment