Cookie Dough Custard Pie


Disclaimer: this recipe is NOT, nor will it ever be, healthy. Please let me banish your hopes and dreams right from the start as we get that out of the way, eh? But I have said this before and I shall say it again: moderation is key.


This pie is divine. Slightly reminiscent of a tollhouse pie, or a kentucky derby pie (without the nuts), the gooey, cookie-dough like filling will have you grasping for seconds (but try to resist, okay, like I just said: moderation).



I made this pie several months back; my roommates and I were having a homemade pizza/movie night- the kind of night where dessert was not an option, but a necessity. I  was perusing my recipes, looking for inspiration, then it hit me: what is better than raw cookie dough? But then I thought, "oh, what about those prudes who think that raw cookie dough dangerous or something, hah!" And then I thought, "Pie. Hmmm, I like pie. Everyone likes pie don't they? I mean, who doesn't like pie. I'm sure if I were to invite the President over to my house and say, 'Mr. President, would you like some pie?', he would look at me and go 'Sure, I like pie.' See people? Everyone likes pie.


Hence the pie.


The cookie dough-like pie.



Deep Dish Cookie Dough Pie


Ingredients:

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup mixed chocolate and peanut butter chips
1 deep dish cookie crust (recipe below)

**Do not pre-bake the pie crust
1. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and salt.
2. Spread the chocolate/peanut butter chips into the pie crust
3. Pour the filling on top of the chips.
4. Bake 350F for 45-50 minutes (or until slightly jiggly in the middle, or a little less if you like extra-gooey pie).

The pie will continue to cook once it gets out of the oven. Let it cool for about 30 minutes to give it time to set up. Once firm enough to cut it, indulge, my friends, indulge!




Deep Dish Cookie Crust

I got the basis of this recipe from a good friend (of course I tweaked a few things), and it has now become my go-to recipe for pie crust. No rolling pins, no floured surfaces, no mess. Just mix and pat into the pan! So easy. This crust is very similar to a sugar cookie, soft and chewy. If you desire more of a basic pie crust, leave out the egg. Also, the amount of flour you need will differ depending on how soft your butter is and how dry the atmosphere is (sounds crazy, but it's true!). Just use a little more or less flour depending on how sticky the crust is.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour

Directions:

1. Combine butter, sugar, egg, and salt; mix until creamy.
2. Add the flour in several increments until it forms a soft (non-sticky) dough ball.
3. Transfer the dough into the pie pan and press into pan. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment