Blueberry Crumb Bars

These blueberry crumb bars, guys... I have no words. Last night I made these:


(and DELICIOUS healthy chicken and dumplings which I idiotically forgot to take pictures of), and may I say, these were a hit. My initial intentions were to make some sort of crumble, but I made them in a 10" square stone, so they were a little more thin than I had anticipated. But if (and when) I make them again, I will definitely make them in a smaller pan--a deep dish pie pan or an 8" square pan--to get more of a cobbler/crumble feel. I really liked them as bars, though.
Plus, there are only 130 calories per bar! Now you can feel a little guilty when you top in with a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, letting the ice cream melt slowly over the warm cobbler-like bars that you, only moments ago, retrieved from the oven. What a dessert.
Enjoy, my friends!

Blueberry Crumb Bars



Time cook: 45 minutes
Serves: 9
Calories: 130 per bar

Ingredients:
FILLING:
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbs honey (or pure maple syrup, agave, or stevia)
1 Tbs lemon juice (or lime juice)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

TOPPING:
1/4 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbs butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 Tbs honey (or maple syrup, agave, or stevia)

**NOTE: This recipe can work with fresh or frozen blueberries, but if frozen blueberries are used, do not thaw beforehand.

Directions:
FOR THE FILLING:
1. Combine the blueberries, honey, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt; mix to combine.
2. Pour in a greased, 10" square baking pan.

FOR THE TOPPING:
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir to combine.
2. To the dry mixture, add the melted butter, milk, and honey.
3. Pour the topping mixture on top of the blueberries and stir the mixture around in the pan to coat the blueberries.
4. Bake in a 375F oven for 30 minutes.
5. Revel guiltlessly in your dessert while knowing you have done something good for your body.



No comments:

Post a Comment