Spinach Breakfast Bars



I receive emails from almost every single food website imaginable. Allrecipes, Taste of Home, The Pioneer Woman... yes, if you haven't figured it out by now, I am one of those people.
I got an email the other day for "Spinach Brownies." I was somewhat disgusted yet strangely intrigued by the title of the email, so of course I had to check it out. It turns out, they were just spinach breakfast bars. I honestly wish that's what they would have called them because "Spinach Breakfast Bars" or even "Breakfast Bars" sound much more palatable that "Spinach Brownies." However, I probably would not have clicked on the email during my busy morning had it not been for the strange title.
Oh well, it honestly doesn't matter. Spinach Brownies, Breakfast Bars, Morning Happiness, Veggies-to-go: call them what you want, these are good.
I read several reviews for these that people had added bacon or breakfast sausage, that would also be really good in these. In fact, if I make these again, I will more than likely add some kind of meat. (College students need our protein, you know?)

Enjoy!

 Spinach Breakfast Bars

recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:

1 (10 oz.) bag frozen spinach, (thawed, drained, finely shredded)
1 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 stick of salted butter, melted
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 (8 oz.) bag shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper


Directions:

1. Combine the flour, salt, pepper, cheese, and basil into a large bowl. Stir to combine.


2. Add eggs, milk, and melted butter. Stir until well-incorporated.


3. Add spinach and chopped onion.


4. Pour in a greased 9x13 baking pan.


5. Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


6. Dig in!


 Stay hungry, my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment