Zesty Pineapple Salsa


My family is a little obsessed with Harry and David's Pineapple Salsa. I don't know if you've ever had it, but after the first spoonful, you either need to hide it or share it because it gets really addicting. (I should know.)
But the downside, the stuff is about $8 a jar. With a jar that small, (albeit filled with sweet and tangy pineapple tomato goodness), and living in a family with men whose "small bite" is the size of a large grapefruit, that little jar of heaven doesn't last very long. With that being said, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make it myself.

Initially, when I first came up with the idea for the recipe, I had planned on using fresh tomatoes and pineapple, but dinnertime came, and so did a whirlwind of hungry mouths, so I had to shorten up the recipe by using canned foods. I'm glad I did though, because I am beginning to recognize that not everyone loves spending two to three hours in the kitchen slaving over homemade salsa. (Guilty as charged-- I would actually love to do that. But I'm... different.)
So this recipe, using canned tomatoes and pineapple, takes only about 20 minutes from beginning to end, not including cool down time.
I am not really a fan of spicy food, so this recipe is a little more mild than the Harry and David version.
So for all of you spicy people out there, feel free to add as much mouth-burning, eye-watering, unpalatable spice as you would like. Be my guest.

Zesty Pineapple Salsa

Time cook: 20 minutes



Ingredients:

1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (4.5 oz) can diced green chilies
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt


Directions:

1. In a medium-sized pot, saute chopped bell peppers and onions in olive oil until soft until soft.


2. Add pineapple. Saute until pineapple is soft.






3. Add the tomatoes, green chilies, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to the pot with the sauteing pineapples, onions, and bell peppers.

4. Bring salsa to a boil. Remove from heat.

5. At this point you can either can it, or pour it into a sturdy container/bowl and put it in the fridge to let it cool.

6. Serve once cooled.



This is a very versatile recipe. It can be 
  • served with chips and guacamole
  • served with cream cheese and crackers for an easy party dip
  • used as a marinade for salmon or chicken
  • served with pork chops
  • eaten with tacos or fajitas.

My family loves to eat it with the Lazy Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas.



Mangiare bene, i miei amici.
Eat well, my friends.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment