Christmas Happenings and Caramelized Grapefruit

Christmas was... different. But it was good.
You could say that it wasn't as, er, traditional as some Christmases in the past, but it was a time to really reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.
This year, first daddy was sick, then I was sick, then daddy was sick again, and then, on Christmas day, mother was sick. (I guess it's what happens when there so many of us in the house.)

Side note: from time to time you will see random pictures of Rags, our precious little dog who was just a poor stray that came up to our house one day--we think he is part human.
Any way, he got a sweater for Christmas, and we have decided that it must be a compression vest, because every time we put it on him he calms down and gets very sleepy.



As you can imagine, my Christmas was packed with baking. For the past few years I have had a small business called "Homemade Holidays" that I run, usually during the end of November and all of December, where I make pies, cakes, and cheesecakes. Because I went off to college this, though, I was not sure how it would work. The flyers were sent out late, but I ended up having three FULL days of baking right before Christmas, so it worked out really well. The picture below is just a sample of some of the baking I did over those really, really, really long three days.

(From left to right:)
Peach Crumble Pie, Pecan Pie, Peach Crumble Pie
Cinnamon Apple Crumb Pie, Chocolate-lover's Cheesecake, Cinnamon Apple Crumb Pie
Not-Your-Grandma's-Cinnamon-Rolls Cheesecake, Peach Crumble Pie, Choco-Peanut Butter Oblivion Cheesecake
I have a really simple recipe for you today, because I honestly have not had time to take some of my more complex recipes and put them in words. (I bake out of my head...)
I had this for breakfast this morning and topped it with some vanilla Greek yogurt. So good!

Caramelized Grapefruit

Time cook: 7 minutes
Serves: 2



Ingredients:

1 grapefruit
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ginger

Directions:

1. Slice the grapefruit in half; score grapefruit to allow the sugar mixture to soak in.
2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. Divide mixture evenly and sprinkle on the two grapefruit halves.
4. Broil grapefruit on 500F for 3-4 minutes until caramelized. (Watch carefully to make sure grapefruit does not burn.)

Slice grapefuit in half.
Sprinkle mixture over grapefruit.


Broil Grapefruit at 500F for 3-4 minutes.



I also had a chance to bake a dessert for my family over Christmas!
I made the Not-Your-Grandma's-Cinnamon-Roll Cheesecake for them. I got two thumbs up from everybody, but daddy still insisted that the Choco-Peanut Butter Oblivion Cheesecake is his favorite. (Which is perfectly OK, because I do not know of a more glorious combination than Chocolate and Peanut Butter.)


The recipe is not posted today, because I am still trying to decide if I am going to post my cheesecake recipe. I might post it eventually.


All I can tell you right now is that this cheesecake contains more than a healthy amount of cream cheese, sugar and butter.


Comprise of a cinnamon cookie crust, and layers of cinnamon roll batter, cinnamon swirl, vanilla cheesecake, and cinnamon cheesecake, I say with assurance that it is more than enough to make a grown man weep.


Enough said.

Choco-Peanut Butter Oblivion Cheesecake
{Don't judge the cracks.}

Overall, it was a beautiful, refreshing Christmas with wonderful kitchen and family time. (Kitchen then family. Hmm, should that be reversed?)
Here is a sneak peak of another recipe I've got coming up: Cinnamon Apple Crumb Pie.

Butter...

Butter...



...And more butter.

Yea, about that. I might have a problem. When I see butter, I cannot help but transform it into something beautiful.

Merry Christmas Everybody!




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment